Governance at Allendale Primary School
Whether you are a pupil, parent, prospective parent, member of staff, member of our local community, or someone interested in becoming a governor, thank you for your interest in our website. I hope you will take the time to read about how Allendale Primary School is governed and who is involved.
I feel very privileged to be the current Chair of Governors at Allendale Primary School. Over the past few years there have been many changes at APS and I am confident that our school will continue to go from strength to strength during my term as Chair.
Ms Cheryl Litster
How is our school governed?
All schools are required to have a Governing Body whose role is to have a strong focus on three core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff.
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
The Governing Body is made up of volunteers who, as a whole group, have the knowledge, skills and time to be able to perform these strategic functions. Here at Allendale Primary School we have 12 places on our governing body. We meet as a full governing body at least once per term but the majority of our work takes place in committees which also meet at least once per term. As well as being members of committees, our “non- staff” governors also take an interest in all areas of the curriculum.
How are we doing?
All our governors work hard to support, challenge and hold the school to account so that Allendale Primary School is successful both now and in the future. We have a high attendance record of all governors at both full board and committee meetings.
Following our very positive Ofsted Inspection report in September 2014, the leadership team, both staff and governors, have continued to drive the school forward towards our vision. The Ofsted inspection report can be read by following the link on this website. The Inspection team stated that “Governors are very well informed about all aspects of the school. They have a good knowledge of how well the school is performing based in part on a detailed knowledge of data about pupils’ achievement and the quality of teaching. They use this information to ask challenging questions and to hold leaders to account.”
During 2016/17 we:
- Consulted further with pupils, parents and staff on their views about Allendale Primary School.
- Ensured new handwriting programme was embedded and effective.
- Improved the standard of provision at Allstars by implementing a new exciting programme of activities.
- Improved our links with the local community and employers.
- Monitored the provision of meals by Dolce to ensure continued high standards.
- Monitored and evaluated the Accelerated Reader programme which proved to be very successful.
- Monitored the provision of the science and the breadth of curriculum.
- Reviewed policies.
During 2017/18 we shall:
- Focus upon the teaching of reasoning in maths; spelling, punctuation and grammar and the breadth of the curriculum.
- Monitor and evaluate the expanding nursery provision.
- Continue to work with other schools within our partnership to explore how we can all improve the outcomes for our pupils.
- Ensure our facilities support our curriculum need.
Mrs Cheryl Litster Smith
Chair of Governors
Mr Geoff Lee
Vice Chair of Governors
Mrs Valeria Dunn
Mrs Julia Cooper
Mrs Lynne Ratcliff
Mr John Litster
Mr Rob Litchen
Mr Clive Bishop
Mr Iain Thompson
Mrs Ginny Swaile
Mrs Alison Hawkins
Mr Phil Vincent